New to Montréal?

Thumbnail image for Screen shot 2022-03-12 at 4.27.33 PM.png
The first step prior to immigrating to Canada, at least the most logical one, is to find a job. If you would like to immigrate to Quebec, you can try hunting for jobs in Montreal. Once you've secured a job, immigration is fairly simple, at least for the first three years. One can work in Canada as a temporary resident for up to three years. During this time, you should consider securing a permanent residency else be ready to return home.

Crossing the border or meeting immigration upon landing requires you to have a few documents on hand in order to have a work permit issued: Bring with you an official job offer and a copy of your resume.

If all goes well, and the lines are short, in as little as 1/2 an hour, you should have a work permit stapled in your passport and three more essential tasks to complete.

Find an apartment or place to live. You'll need an official mailing address to complete the final two steps: Obtain a Social Insurance Number and health insurance card. The SIN number is issued when you submit your application; however, there will be a short waiting period to receive the official card in the mail. As for the health card, there is a 90 day waiting period after you have applied before it becomes active. Get started as soon as possible.

Let's start with the Social Insurance Number or SIN. You'll find the information you need at the Canadian government Canadian Service  website for temporary workers. Download the forms and fill them out at home. This will expedite the process. Visit their official web page to locate the office nearest your location.

Once you have your SIN number, if you are downtown Montreal, a short walk will take you to the government office where the health cards are issued. Follow the steps listed on the Quebec government website to apply for a health card. 

One can obtain a work permit, apartment, SIN and health insurance card in less than 24 hours if you have a legitimate job offer and all of your paperwork checks out.

Please note, when  immigrating to Montreal, you have two governments to deal with: the Canadian  and Quebecois governments. Here are links to their main websites for immigration:

Good luck!

1 Comment

Moving to Canada?

for somebody moving to Canada, which would be the best region to live in , Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta.assignment writing service business, schools, wrongdoing rate, average cost for basic items any data on those regions

Leave a comment