Tremblant Autumn Classic

Tremblant Autumn Classic



We woke up to a chill and rainy Friday morning, unable to view the top of Mont-Tremblant due to heavy fog. I couldn't believe what the weather forecast was projecting for the weekend: rain fevery day! Friday was a practice day, but I think it was one of the most intense days of the race season. The relentless rain made it almost pointless to take down lap times. In the morning session, a red flag waved, but it turned out someone was just stalled. In the afternoon session, the red flag returned for something much worse. I knew it wasn't for Duncan because he was coming into the pits just as the flag was being given. The scary part was that the ambulance was deployed onto the track with the lights flashing.

Jim and I decided to wait around and see the car that merited a red flag. When we saw the tow-truck come along with the car suspended just behind the bed, we were shocked. The car had three corners knocked off after crashing into the wall.  We weren't shocked that this happened but we couldn't fathom how the team could fix it for the next day's races. There is so much work going into fixing one corner of a car, let alone three!  We went back to the condo around 5:30, which is actually a record. I felt bad for the team that had to rebuild half the car. However that team had not had a crash for over three years, which is very impressive.

 The next day was still rainy and unbelievably cold. If you looked around, it seemed everyone gained at least twenty pounds from all the layers. Just before qualifying, it began to pour. The Formula 1600 racers had to qualify in a downpour.

We ended up qualifying thirteenth. The track was completely soaked. Duncan went from thirteenth to tenth, then took a spin and returned to his original position. As his lap times became slower, Jim noticed that there was something wrong with the car. An electrical problem stripped the car of some of its' power. Duncan  fixed it in thirty minutes, when it could have taken hours! We were very lucky.

We woke up Sunday morning to sun! However, we stepped outside and it was about nine degrees. We tuned up the car a little bit, but we were ready to go for qualifying. The results from qualifying were absolutely incredible. We qualified twelfth, but all the racers from third place to thirteenth all within 1 second in the 1 minute 47 seconds. The pack was so close!


 We decided to take a chance for the final race of the season. While some changed their set up for wet weather conditions, we decided to have a dry set up. We were a little anxious during the race because the radar showed rain would hit. Duncan did spin out in the first lap and he fell back to eighteenth place. However, he quickly moved up the ranks. He made it to ninth place when there was an incident and a full course yellow. The pace car came out and all the cars were forced to regroup. When the pace car drove off the track after three laps, the race started again. Duncan promptly rose up and finished in sixth place!

We also finished the Formula Tour 1600 Championship in fifth place! 



Leave a comment

Visit our community forum!


OpenID accepted here Learn more about OpenID